APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION ARE NOW CLOSED.
We require a hardworking, organised and experienced brewer who enjoys working in a small team but who can solve problems and work unsupervised. Applicants must possess a mature attitude to work and be able to plan ahead. An approachable nature and the ability and willingness to communicate is essential, as is the willingness to go the extra mile to ensure the highest quality.
Duties & Responsibilities
The following outlines the roles and responsibilities of the post holder:
• Overall responsibility for fermentation, conditioning and packaging of regular and mixed fermentation beers;
• Transferring of beer between vessels, tank management and cleaning;
• Manage multiple yeast strains and mixed cultures with the lab manager and ensure the highest level of yeast health;
• Overseeing of tank usage, cleaning and process flow;
• Work closely with the team to decide the packing schedule and ensure that the agreed schedule is implemented;
• Record and log all relevant information;
• Control of cold side tank additions, including dry hopping, hop rocket, fruit and other additions;
• Overall responsibility for management of stock and ordering of cellar consumables;
• Share in weekend cellaring and brewery functions outside of normal working hours;
• Ensuring style specific carbonation, hopping and colloidal stability;
• Ensure the cleanliness, efficiency and functionality of the cellar and packaging area and its equipment;
• Maintain standards of health and safety, hygiene and security in the work environment;
• Consistently reinforce quality across all cellaring and packaging processes and products;
• Reduce wastage and excess costs without compromising beer quality;
• Review your own performance, set goals and meet or exceed targets;
• Provide a superior customer service always, in person and via telephone calls and emails.
• Seek out educational opportunities; read professional publications; maintain personal networks; participate in professional organisations;
• Research improvements in equipment, processes, recipes, ingredients and packing materials, etc.;
• Ensure equipment is maintained and used properly at all times and that safety procedures and maintenance schedules are upheld;
• Feed relevant information back to the brew team;
• Attend and contribute to team meetings and share best practice with colleagues;
• Represent the Brethren at trade exhibitions, events and tastings (sometimes during evenings and weekends);
• Motivate, organise and encourage teamwork;
• Maintain cleanliness of all work areas and equipment;
• Provide consistent and accurate updates to the brew team regarding all areas of work;
• Possess a positive attitude to a busy work environment and a willingness to work long or flexible hours when required;
• Contribute to team effort by completing other tasks as needed.
This list is not exhaustive but an indication of the roles and responsibilities of the Cellar Coordinator.
Code of Conduct: Northern Monk expects all its members of staff to adhere to best processes, procedures and code of conduct. Specifically:
- Working on multiple work streams to a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Demonstrating the Northern Monk ethos and approach to partners and contacts through your professionalism, knowledge and enthusiasm;
- Protecting and promoting the organisation's values by keeping critical information confidential;
- Being a team player.
In return, Northern Monk is committed to respecting and valuing all staff, achieving a good work/life balance, giving staff the space to learn and grow alongside the brewery and ensuring all staff play a role in developing and delivering our vision and plans.
To apply for this position, please send your CV across to sophie [at] northernmonk.com.